Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rule Day - I Love to Be the Underdog!

Let me start out by saying I will be the first to admit that I don't like Michigan.  I didn't grow up there.  I don't like Ohio State either.  I just think that Michigan is rated way too high every year (kind of like Notre Dame - you guessed it.  I don't like them either - especially now that they are transitioning to the ACC - sort of)... they fail to produce W's.  They are one of few teams who lose and move up in the ranks. 

Now, despite constantly cheering against certain teams, I do love a good close game.  What I don't love is a game where officiating significantly impacts a close game.  At the end of the day, a team can't blame a bad call on losing a game (if it's that close of a game).  But it's frustrating to watch, there is no doubt about it.

The officials did totally blow it on Saturday though.  After Michigan effing ran the ball down the field and tore my heart out scored in the 4th quarter, regaining the lead, Akron got the ball back.  They got down to Michigan's 1 yard line (or 2 yard line).  The officials called a review and failed to add 9 crucial seconds back on the clock.  NINE seconds is huge in football.  They went from 1st and goal on the 1 to 3rd and 1 on the 2, which isn't a big deal - it was the right call, but they were owed 9 seconds.  The game announcers questioned, the NCAA rulebook confirmed (see Section 12-5).  They ended up running out of downs, but it was unfortunate.

If I were a Michigan fan (and again, I am far from that), it's not a feel-good win.  It's not even really a W in my book... more of a L.  But congrats(?) for barely squeaking by Akron.  

No comments:

Post a Comment